Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Protection Assistant – Legal.
About the Job
Overall purpose of the role is to support the legal counseling team in disseminating relevant legal information to refugees in South-East Turkey and in supporting DRC legal officers in counselling clients, accompaniment to service providers and government entities, awareness raising, as well as support to survivors of gender based violence and other people in case-management services.
Sector responsibilities: Advocacy for the rights of displaced people in their context of displacement, individual protection assistance based on vulnerability, legal aid, land & property rights, sexual and gender-based violence prevention, registration services for the internally displaced and refugees and rights awareness-raising.
This role has a base focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within each base.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the legal officer and case management team(s) with initial data intake of PoCs with legal concerns
- In collaboration with the legal officer, monitor developments on the legal framework and regulations developed for refugees at the area and Country level and, where relevant, translate into Arabic
- Support the legal officer in disseminating key legal information by interpreting and explaining procedures, legislation, and official documents to clients, and providing real-time translation for individual and group sessions
- Assist in filling relevant documentation for individual clients
- Assist in preparing and delivering legal awareness sessions through researching sources, preparing PPT presentations, and conducting FGDs with beneficiaries where necessary
- Assist in preparing and facilitating thematic sessions during commemorations and other events
- Under guidance and supervision of the legal counsellor:
- Follow-up with clients through phone calls and individual meetings
- Ensure clear communication with beneficiaries to inform them of potential courses of action and empowering them to pursue their chosen options;Follow up with internal departments, service providers and government entities as per each individual client’s action plan
- Keep up to date with appropriate legislation and policies regarding Syrian refugees and refugees living in Turkey in general
- Ensure impartiality, and confidentiality of beneficiaries, at all times
- Ensuring the maintenance and regular update of case databases and other relevant trackers
To be successful in this role, you must have a university degree in sociology, social work, international affairs, law, humanitarian action or related field.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Minimum 1 years of practical experience in sector area working for an INGO
- Field experience
- Excellent skill in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Advanced Arabic and Turkish proficiency
- Fluency in English language highly desirable
- Previous experience working in legal aid
- Experience working in the humanitarian field (preferably experience from southern Turkey)
- Experience in protection activities and/or social or health sector.
- Experience working with Syrian refugees
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- Ability to multi-task and cope with competing demands
- Experience with case management protocols desirable
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 9 Months
Employment Band: I
Designation of Duty Station: Kilis Office
Start date: 01.12.2021
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 24.10.2021
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.